On October 12th 2016, The Red Door™ put up an informal question and answer sort of survey for World Mental Health Day. Our online was in collaborative efforts with The Loud Whispers Project.
Three simple questions were asked:
1. If you had the choice to choose a word for your condition/experience, what would that word be?
2. If you were given the choice to choose what makes you happy everyday, what would that be? ( ex: painting, singing, dreaming, doing nothing, watching tv, walking, reading, meditating, a flexible career to do the previous ones, etc)
3. What can others do for you that would make you happy and not ‘mentally’ strained or distressed?
The reasons behind asking these questions were simple. We wanted to highlight the FACT that every human person HAS the ABILITY to make their own CHOICES and DECISIONS when we GIVE them the CHOICE and not undermine their capacity of making it. Remember, we are pro-CRPD. And many professionals around world have undermined choices of persons with mental illness stating that we are individuals who do not and cannot be given choices since we don’t have the mental capacity of choosing it.
However, the replies below will confirm our believes and inspiration behind our work. That CHOICES need to be simply be a given, and not something anyone needs to fight for.
The replies have been copy pasted directly from our Facebook Page. Scroll to our October 12th post and you’ll be able to see that these came from people who exist and not something we made up.
If you wish to add your comment to it, feel free to do so. Rather leave a comment on our blog post as this would be easier for us to archive.
3. Just be a friend.
3. Leave me alone, until they can bring something new to my table, or unless I am lonely!
2.Conversations and talking about mental health and illness
3.I’d be happy if there was more space in life for conversations in which people can share themselves without inhibitions.
3. leave me alone unless you understand